XIFAXAN (rifaximin) 550 mg tablets are indicated for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) in adults.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION - XIFAXAN (rifaximin) 550 mg tablets
- XIFAXAN is not for everyone. Do not take XIFAXAN if you have a known allergic (hypersensitivity) reaction to rifaximin, any of the rifamycin antimicrobial agents, or any of the components in XIFAXAN.
- If you take antibiotics, like XIFAXAN, there is a chance you could experience diarrhea caused by an overgrowth of bacteria (C. difficile). This can cause symptoms ranging in severity from mild diarrhea to life-threatening colitis. Contact your healthcare provider if your diarrhea does not improve or worsens.
- Talk to your healthcare provider before taking XIFAXAN if you have severe hepatic (liver) impairment as this may cause increased effects of the medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking drugs called P-glycoprotein inhibitors (such as cyclosporine) because using these drugs with XIFAXAN may lead to an increase in the amount of XIFAXAN absorbed by your body.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or nursing, talk to your healthcare provider before taking XIFAXAN because it is unknown if XIFAXAN can harm an unborn baby or nursing infant.
- The most common side effects for XIFAXAN in IBS-D were nausea (feeling sick to your stomach) and an increase in liver enzymes.
Click here for full Prescribing Information